Burwood – 3125


Business District. Its Local Government Area is largely the City of Whitehorse but includes the City of Monash in its south west corner. Some surrounding neighborhoods include Surrey Hills, Camberwell, Glen Iris, Ashwood and Mt Waverley. At the 2006 Census, Burwood had a growing population of 11,886.

Real estate in the Burwood area has always performed solidly with demand for functional family homes and spacious backyards remaining high.  80% of properties in Burwood are free standing homes whilst the remaining 20% are either semi-detached homes or flats. The median house price is currently $752,000 and the unit median is $450,000 (April 2011 figures).

In 1904 Burwood’s local residents totaled 600 and they had a post office, two hotels, a savings bank and a number of churches. The township was surrounded by farms and market gardens. Albers’ Daffodil Farm was typical of the local market gardens at that time until the site was sold to the government in 1951. It’s location is now home to the Burwood campus of Deakin University.

The extension of the Toorak Road tramline in 1912 was a catalyst for residential development in the area. And following World War II, development headed further east along Burwood Highway.

Burwood is host to a generous selection of good schools, shops and recreational facilities. Presbyterian Ladies' College, Emmaus College and Mount Scopus College all have campus’ within the suburb and shopping precincts along Burwood Road meet all household needs. Parks in the suburb include Wattle Park and Gardiners Creek Reserve, the latter which has a shared bicycle and pedestrian path. And whilst there is no train service to Burwood, tram route 75 runs from Melbourne to Vermont South traversing the suburb along Burwood Highway.

/buy/search/